When the heat is on, there’s nothing better than enjoying a big scoop of ice cream. Here’s a cool summertime treat that Paleo eaters can enjoy featuring frozen, honey-sweetened coconut cream between two buttery, pecan-studded shortbread cookies. Be sure to watch the video—there’s a bit of flipping and turning for the filling to turn out just right—but the results are worth it!
PALEO ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
Yield: 4 sandwiches
Active Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 8hours and 5 minutes
For the ice cream
1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut cream, room temperature
3 tablespoons raw honey
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the sandwiches
½ cup organic pecans, toasted and chopped
Make the ice cream
- Flip the can of coconut cream upside down and remove the bottom lid with a can opener (reserve the lid)
- Drain excess liquid, about ¼ cup.
- With a fork, stir cream until smooth
- Add honey and vanilla extract; stir well.
- Chill in the freezer for at least 8 hours.
- Remove and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour, or run the bottom of the can under hot water for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Place can right side up and pop off the lid from the top (now both the top and bottom lids should be removed).
- Flip can over again and, using the bottom lid you reserved earlier, push it down gently along the inside of the can while simultaneously lifting the can up, until the coconut slides through to a cutting board.
- If coconut seems too loose, place it on a plate and re-freeze for 30 minutes.
Make the sandwiches
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the frozen coconut ice cream into 4 thick slices.
- Place 1 piece between 2 cookies.
- Roll the edges of the sandwich on top of a plate scattered with the chopped pecans. Repeat with remaining 3 sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe credit: Angela Gaines