On January first, I restarted the Keto Diet. As many of you know, I was on the ketogenic diet for over nine months. It is and remains the best eating plan that I have ever been on. Not only did I lose TONS of weight, it also gave me ample energy to train for and complete the AVON 39.
Back in late September, after a few months of jogging, I ramped up my running game. I had decided that I wanted to train for and run a half marathon. The training was exciting and exhilarating. I had gone from not running more than 3 miles in a single stretch to running over eight miles! I attribute this to a program that I had found call the Run Walk Run program by Jeff Galloway. If you have never heard of this program, I encourage you to check out this post.
I also attribute my new found hobby to my increased appetite. Wow! I couldn’t eat enough and I ended up falling way off the keto wagon.
But, I am not one to give into failure so I started keto up again. The first round that I did (November 2016- October 2017) I learned so much and created so many fun recipes. This time I am determined to do the same.
This keto buns recipe is REALLY helping me kick my bread habit. I can’t believe it took me so long to create it. It is made using my keto pizza dough recipe (get it HERE) with a few modifications to help the dough rise a little.
I also used four of these X-Haibei Flexible 4.5″ MINI Round silicone pans for the shape. It worked perfectly but, remember to spray with cooking spray first. I have read stories from other keto bakers that have used silicone molds that sometimes the finished product does not come out of the pan. So, make sure to really spray it good.
If you are not using molds, separate the dough into 4 even balls. Place the dough between two piece of parchment paper and roll each of the balls out to 5-inch circles. Place dough on cookie sheet and remove top piece of parchment paper.
After baking these keto buns, be sure to remove them from the mold or the cookie sheet to cool. This is especially important if you are using the mold as this type of dough has been known to stick to the mold, even with cooking spray, if they have been allowed to cool in the mold.
After these bus cool, use one for the top and the other for the bottom of any sandwich or burger you are making. So good!
- 1 ½ cups Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp Cream Cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ¾ cup Almond Flour
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
- Place the grated mozzarella cheese into a bowl and add the cream cheese.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute. Mix well with a wooden spoon and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Mix well again.
- Add egg and stir well.
- Add salt, baking powder, garlic powder, and almond flour; mix until completely combined.
- Generously pray 5-nch silicone molds with cooking spray*.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Remove from molds or parchment paper to cool.
- *If you are not using molds, separate the dough into 4 even balls. Place the dough between two piece of parchment paper and roll each of the balls out to 5-inch circles. Place dough on cookie sheet and remove top piece of parchment paper.